President's Update - December 2nd, 2013

The Southey Marlins scored two shorthanded goals and one power play goal to take a 3-0 lead on the Lumsden Monarchs on Friday evening only to see the Monarchs score once in the first period and three times in the second period to nip the Marlins 4-3 and secure their fourth win in a row. The Marlins scored three goals in their first game of the year….all even strength. In their next four games, including this game, the Marlins have scored 17 goals of which 10 came on the power play, 4 were shorthanded and only three goals came even strength. The Marlins lead the League in the power play department at 42.3% or 11 goals in 26 opportunities. In this game Pat Thompson-Gale and Dylan Mohr scored shorthanded and Devin Hillier scored on the power play. For Lumsden Stuart Poulin scored in the first period and then Brayden Park and Brendan Ryan scored in the second period. Park would score the winner with just over three minutes left in the second period. Trevor Theissen would pick up his second win of the year in net and Kurtis Sollosy was in net for the Marlins. The Marlins had five minor penalties while the Monarchs had three. These teams will meet again on Saturday, January 4th in Lumsden on Wall of Fame night.

Speaking of shorthanded goals….the Strasbourg Maroons scored two of their own on Friday evening on their way to an 8-5 victory over the Wynyard Monarchs. Power play goals by Chad Mazurak, Bryan Kauk and a goal from Dale Spelchen gave the Monarchs a 3-0 lead after one period. In the second period Quinn McIntosh scored two of his three goals on the evening, including a shorthanded goal in a five goal outburst by the Maroons. Jory Miller, Brady Heintz and Aaron Decorby also scored for the Maroons in the second period. Wynyard scored twice in the second period with Spelchen scoring his second goal and Mike Anderson scoring. The Monarchs did not take a penalty until the third period and then they took five minor penalties with the end result being the winning goal being scored on a power play by Greg Ferguson. McIntosh would then score his second goal of the game and Heintz would score his second goal of the evening into an empty net shorthanded to complete the scoring. Jeremy Ellis picked up his first win in net stopping 44 of 49 shots fired at him. Mason Brewster had his first game as a Monarch and stopped 26 of 33 shots sent his way. The Maroons had two major penalties in this game which resulted in suspensions. Jory Miller was suspended one game for a check to the head and Dylan Hubick was assessed one game for an Instigator call. Both suspensions will be served in the Cupar game on December 6th.

On Saturday evening the Cupar Canucks defeated the Raymore Rockets 12-2 to move to 4-1-0. Kyle Ross had one goal (PPG) and six assists and Kyle Ermel had three goals and two assists to lead the way for the Canucks. Also scoring for the Canucks were Davis Brown and Justin Schulhauser with two goals each, Jaret Eberle, Cody Hanson, Justin Bernhardt and Devin Lipinski with a power play goal. Scoring for the Rockets were Aaron Johnson and Reid Colley. Jamie Wutke picked up the win in net for the Canucks and Justin Stewart was in net for the Rockets. The Rockets had twelve minor penalties, two misconducts and a game misconduct. The Canucks had eight minor penalties and did not give up a power play goal. The Canucks lead penalty killing in the league with an 85.2% success rate allowing 4 goals on 27 opportunities.

In Bethune, The Avonlea Arrows picked up a 4-3 overtime victory over the Bethune Bulldogs as James Ardelan scored the winner four minutes into overtime. The Bulldogs scored first in this game as Dustin MacAngus scored on the power play to give the Bulldogs the lead. James Dombowsky would answer that goal shortly after and the teams were tied at one going into the second period. Gavin Mievre would score the only goal of the second period on the power play to give the Arrows the lead going into the third period. Cody Hall and Mike Reich would score twelve seconds apart almost two minutes into the third period to give the Bulldogs their second lead of the game. A little more than two minutes later Scott Arnold would score on the power play to tie this game up and take it to overtime. Nathan Fischl picked up the win in net for the Arrows while Ryan Seibel was in net for the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs had ten minor penalties and two misconducts while the Arrows had seven minor penalties and three misconducts.

Also on Saturday evening we had the battle of the Monarchs in Wynyard. The Wynyard Monarchs won this game 6-4. The game was tied at one after one period as Brett Leffler opened the scoring for Wynyard and Brady Aulie scored on the power play for Lumsden. In the second period Wynyard outscored Lumsden 4-3 and scored three of their goals on the power play. One of the Lumsden goals in the second period came on the power play. In fact Lumsden scored on both of their power play opportunities while Wynyard scored on three of their six opportunities. Wynyard’s power play goals came from Chad Mazurak, Brett Leffler and Bryan Kauk with the eventual game winning goal.  Dylan Bentz scored an even strength goal. The Lumsden power play goal was scored by Steve Eberts. Also scoring for Lumsden were Brayden Park and Chris Whitteron. Donovan Hall scored the only goal in the third period to make the final 6-4 for Wynyard. Dave Perkin picked up the win in net for Wynyard and Will Hood was in net for Lumsden.

On Sunday afternoon the Raymore Rockets defeated the Southey Marlins 5-4. Pat Thompson-Gale scored on the power play to give Southey an early 1-0 lead. Cody Mapes, Todd MacMurchy and Tyrell Shulko with his league leading eighth goal put the Rockets up 3-1 after one period. Aaron Johnson would score the only Raymore goal of the second period to give Raymore a 4-1 lead and Shay Wirll would score for the Marlins to make it 4-2 heading to the third period. Jared LaCosta would score early in the third period to get the Marlins within one goal but Cody Mapes would score his second goal of the afternoon shortly after which would turn out to be the winning goal. Devin Hillier scored with just under fifteen minutes to play for the Marlins but there would be no more scoring and the Rockets held on for their second win of the year. Deric Kuntz picked up the win in net for the Rockets and Gatlin Schwartz was in net for the Marlins. Raymore took three minor penalties and the Marlins took one minor penalty.

Pat Thompson-Gale from the Marlins leads all scoring in the Sievert Trophy run with 16 points. Kyle Ross from Cupar is now second with 15 points while Brett Leffler from Wynyard and Steve Eberts from Lumsden are next with 14 points. Tyrell Shulko from Raymore and Bryan Kauk from Wynyard are tied for fifth with 13 points. Bethune continues to lead team goaltending with a 2.21 GAA. Ryan Seibel is 2-1-0 with a 2.61 GAA and Troy Moltz is 1-0-0 with a 1.00 GAA. Dave Perkin from Wynyard leads all goalies with four wins and 337 minutes played. Brett Leffler and Chad Mazurak from Wynyard lead all scorers with four power play goals. Bryan McNabb Jr. from Cupar and Steve Eberts from Lumsden lead all scorers with two winning goals each. Pat Thompson-Gale from Southey with three and Mike Reich from Bethune with two lead all scorers in shorthanded goals. The Southey Marlins lead all teams with a 42.3% power play success rate. They are followed by Strasbourg at 36.4% and Wynyard at 32.7%. The Cupar Canucks at 13.3% are last in power play success. In penalty killing, the Cupar Canucks are first at 85.2%. They are followed by Bethune at 83.3% and Strasbourg at 78.6%. Early in the season the most penalized team in the league are the Bethune Bulldogs averaging 29.25 minutes per game. They are followed by the Avonlea Arrows at 25.3 minutes per game and then the Cupar Canucks at 24.8 minutes per game. The least penalized team in the league are the Lumsden Monarchs at 9.1 minutes per game. The next closest team to Lumsden would be Southey at 15.8 minutes per game.

This weekend all teams play except Avonlea and Southey. They will meet in Southey next Tuesday evening. On Friday evening the Lumsden Monarchs (4-3-0) host the Raymore Rockets (2-4-0), the Bethune Bulldogs (3-0-1) visit Wynyard to play the Monarchs (4-3-0) and the Cupar Canucks (4-1-0) are in Strasbourg to meet the Maroons (2-1-1). On Saturday evening Lumsden is in Bethune and Cupar is in Raymore.

Usually we have all of our tweets on our website so that you can follow updates on game night right on our site but we have a bit of a glitch which we are trying to fix so for now you will have to follow us right on twitter either from your computer or your mobile device:

Follow the HHL on Twitter: on the Pensky File

There is a RSS Feed button on the bottom of the page if you wish to subscribe to our weekly blog and updates right to your email…simply click and tell us where you would like it sent.

Thank you for supporting the Highway Hockey League. Please try and get out to a game near you.


Gerry Tomkins

HHL - President