President's Update - December 16th, 2013

We had four games on Friday evening….in Strasbourg, the Bethune Bulldogs scored twice in the last minute of the first period to take a 2-1 lead into the second period. Quinn McIntosh opened the scoring for the Maroons before Lucas Ulmer and Derek Fuchs, on the power play, scored for the Bulldogs. Jacob Ulmer had the only goal in the second period and the Bulldogs were up 3-1 going into the third period. The Maroons would take the lead early in the third period with three goals in 1:40. Branden Sentes scored and Tanner Exner and Greg Ferguson would score on the power play to give the Maroons the lead. Lucas Ulmer scored quickly to tie the game up at 4-4. Quinn McIntosh would score his second of the game with 7:30 left and that goal would prove to be the winner. Branden Sentes scored his second goal of the game into an empty net. Tyler Kifferling picked up the win stopping 23 of 27 shots. Ryan Seibel was in net and stopped 36 of 41 shots fired at him. Bethune had ten minor penalties and Strasbourg had nine plus a game misconduct.

In Southey, a goal from Ryan Branton gave the home town Marlins a 1-0 lead after the first period. The Canucks would reel off four goals from Kyle Ross, Kyle Ermel, Shea Van Luven and Brett Boha in the second period to put the Marlins up 4-1 going into the third period. Cody Hanson and Shea Van Luven would pick up power play goals and Kyle Ross would get his second goal of the evening in third period and the Canucks would stroll home with a 7-2 victory. Colby Miller picked up the win in net for the Canucks and Ryan Senft made his first appearance in net for the Marlins this year. The Canucks had thirteen minor penalties and a misconduct while the Marlins had six minor penalties and two misconducts.

In Wynyard it was all Monarchs as they cruised to an 11-1 victory over the Raymore Rockets. Mike Anderson with three goals (2 PPG), Chad Mazurak with two goals (1 PPG) and three assists and Bryan Kauk with a goal (SHG) and five helpers led the way in scoring for the Monarchs. Also scoring for the Monarchs were Donovan Hall with two goals and two assists, Joey MacDonald, Brett Leffler and Dylan Bentz. Dave Perkin picked up the win in net for Wynyard. Cody Mapes scored the lone goal for Raymore. John Arscott was in net for the Rockets. The Monarchs and Rockets each had six minor penalties, one major penalty and a game misconduct.

In Avonlea, the Arrows scored four times in the first period and went on to defeat the Lumsden Monarchs 6-2. 2012-13 League MVP Shay Neufeld led the way for the Arrows with two goals, one shorthanded, and an assist. Also scoring for the Arrows were Stuart Holland, Calvin Watson. Ryan Cruse and Josh Jelinski scored on the power play for the Arrows. Lumsden got goals from Miguel Pereira and Matt Hood. Nathan Fischl picked up the win in net for the Arrows. Trevor Thiessen was in net for the Monarchs.

On Saturday evening the Bethune Bulldogs fired 65 shots at Southey goalie Gatlin Schwartz and defeated the Marlins 8-2. Dustin MacAngus scored just 22 seconds into the game with Tyler Riche and MacAngus again scoring before Pat Thompson-Gale and Ryan Branton scored for the Marlins to make it 3-2 going into the second period. It was all Bulldogs after that. Jacob Ulmer scored twice in the second period and then Derek Fuchs, Jens Johnson and Jacob Ulmer on the power play finished the scoring in the third period. Troy Moltz picked up his second win of the year in net for the Bulldogs stopping 26 of 28 shots fired his way. Gatlin Schwartz was in net for the Marlins. Bethune took five minor penalties while Southey took four.

In Cupar the Canucks and the Arrows played a scoreless first period. The Arrows scored three times in the second period with goals from Scott Arnold, Shay Neufeld and James Ardelan with a power play tally. Tyler Stewart scored the Canucks lone goal early in the third period on the power play. Ryan Cruse would then score on the power play for the Arrows and Shay Neufeld would complete the scoring to make it a final of 5-1 for the Arrows. Nathan Fischl picked up the win in net for the Arrows. Jamie Wutke was in net for the Canucks. The Canucks had nine minor penalties, one major penalty and a game misconduct. The Arrows had five minor penalties, a major penalty and a game misconduct.

On Sunday the Lumsden Monarchs were in Raymore in a game that was dominated by the goalies. This game went into overtime scoreless. Matt Hood pinched and ended up putting in the lone goal of the game off a shot from Lance LaMontagne. His goal preserved brother Will Hood’s first shutout of his senior career and the first shut out in the league this year. He stopped 28 shots. John Arscott also had a terrific game stopping 31 of 32 shots fired at him.

On Friday evening the Strasbourg Maroons (4-1-1) are in Lumsden to face the Monarchs (6-5-0), the Wynyard Monarchs (6-3-0) are in Raymore (2-7-1), the Southey Marlins (0-9-0) are in Avonlea to play the Arrows (5-1-0) and the Bethune Bulldogs (5-2-1) are in Cupar to play the Canucks (6-3-0).

The Avonlea Arrows will be having their Xmas Cabaret after the Southey game.....

On Saturday evening Raymore will be in Southey at 8 p.m. and Strasbourg will be in Wynyard. That game starts at 7 p.m.

Statistics will be updated by mid week.

Follow the HHL on Twitter: on the Pensky File search for hashtag #HHL

There is a RSS Feed button on the bottom of the page if you wish to subscribe to our weekly blog and updates right to your email…simply click and tell us where you would like it sent.

Thank you for supporting the Highway Hockey League. Please try and get out to a game near you.

Gerry Tomkins

President - HHL