President's Update - November 24th, 2014

On Friday evening in Avonlea, the Lumsden Monarchs scored three times to take a 3-0 lead on the Arrows on goals by Austin Preete and a pair from Shay Wirll (1 –ppg).  Troy Murray (no...not the Troy Murray that played on the Clydesdale line) would score late in the period to make it 3-1 heading into the second period. In the second period Mark Jelinski would score early and then in in the last minute of play Calvin Watson scored to tie the game up 3-3. Jelinski would score his second goal of the game with just under three minutes to play to give the Arrows their first lead of the game. Just one minute later Stuart Poulin would score for the Monarchs and this game went to overtime. Overtime solved nothing and Poulin would be the only shooter to score in the shootout to give the Monarchs a 5-4 victory. The Arrows were assessed six minor penalties and the Monarchs four. Kurtis Sollosy would pick up his second victory of the year in net for the Monarchs and Kelley Lueck picked up the tie in the Arrow’s net.

In Cupar, the Strasbourg Maroons defeated the Cupar Canucks 6-3. Sean DeLowa led the way for the Maroons with two power play goals, including the game winner late in the second period. Brady Heintz also had two goals while Quinn McIntosh and Greg Ferguson also scored.  Devin Lipinski (ppg), Chad Filteau and Donovan Chow scored for Cupar. The Canucks were assessed four minor penalties while the Maroons had three. Tyler Kifferling picked up the win in net for the Maroons. Colby Miller was in net for the Canucks.

On Saturday evening we had two games postponed. The Bethune @ Strasbourg game has been rescheduled to Tuesday, December 2nd 8 p.m. We will advise on the Avonlea @ Wynyard game soon. In Raymore the Cupar Canucks defeated the Raymore Rockets 4-3 in overtime. Just like the Arrows/Monarchs game on Friday evening, the Canucks took a 3-0 lead in the first period and the Rockets would score late in the period on the power play to make it 3-1 going into the second period. Elliot Hubick, Davis Brown and Travis Orr scored for Cupar in the first while Brendon Eisnor scored the ppg goal for the Rockets. In the second period Jared Adams scored for the Rockets to make it 3-2 and early in the third period Todd MacMurchy scored on the power play to tie the game 3-3. This game went to overtime and 3:24 into the frame Jordan Pratt would score the winner for the Canucks. Tanner Kehler picked up his first win in the HHL for the Canucks and Kevin Orthner picked up the tie in net for the Rockets. The Canucks were assessed six minor penalties and the Rockets had four.

This Friday evening the Raymore Rockets (1-1-1) visit the Avonlea Arrows (0-1-1) and the Lumsden Monarchs visit the Cupar Canucks in a game between two teams at 2-2-0. On Saturday evening we have a full slate with Avonlea going to Bethune to play the Bulldogs (1-1-0), Wynyard Monarchs (2-1-0) in Raymore to play the Rockets and in Lumsden the Monarchs will hold their fourth annual Wall of Fame Game playing the undefeated Strasbourg Maroons (2-0-0). This year Bob Eberts and Ryan Mymryk are being honoured by the Monarchs. There is a meal at the Lumsden Hotel prior to the game (tickets available from Monarchs executive) at 5 p.m. and the ceremony will take place between periods.

Statistics will be updated this week. Pocket Schedules are now in all communities but Wynyard and we will fix that this week.

Please note that the Highway Hockey twitter feed is now on our main page for your convenience….so you don’t have to be on twitter to get the updates from our league. The Highway Hockey feed will show all tweets sent from our feed. You will get our new “mobile view” on your handhelds….there is an option at the bottom of the page to go to a desktop view. If you prefer you can just follow us on the Pensky File

Please get out to a game near you and thank you for supporting the Highway Hockey League.

Gerry Tomkins

President - HHL