President's Update - January 21st, 2019 we go again....the Southey Marlins defeated the Lumsden Monarchs in Southey on Friday evening 6-5 in a shootout. The Marlins have now been in four shootouts this year and have won all four of those games. The Marlins became the first team to defeat the Monarchs this season. Ryley Storzuk and Brendan Bentz scored in the first period for the Marlins and the Monarchs got a power play goal form Liam Brennan and it was 2-1 going into the second period. Braeden Adamyk would score shorthanded to get the game tied and then Pat Thompson-Gale would score to give the Marlins the lead again. Late in the period Adamyk would score on the power play and the game was tied going into the final period. Brady Aulie would score early in the period to give Lumsden their first lead of the game but that goal was answered by Taylor Wilton and then a goal from Cody Straker put the Marlins up 5-4. With just over a minute left in the period, Liam Brennan would score his second goal of the game and this game would go to over time and then to a shootout. Ryley Storzuk would score the winning marker in the shootout. David Perkin would pick up the win in the Southey net and Will Hood was in the Lumsden net. Lumsden had five minor penalties called against them and Southey had three. The Marlins would win their second game of the weekend and their third in a row defeating the Cupar Canucks Saturday evening in Cupar 5-2. The Marlins would get a power play goal in the first period from Travis Mohr and then would score four times in the second period getting goals from Pat Thompson-Gale, Rylan Freed and two goals from Ryley Storzuk. Brett Boha and Kyle Hall scored for Cupar. David Perkin picked up the win in the Southey net and Tanner Kehler was in the Cupar net. Southey had eight minor penalties and Cupar had six.

There were two other games on Saturday evening. In Raymore the Lumsden Monarchs bounced back with an 8-1 win. This was the Rockets fifth straight loss. Carter Hanson, Braeden Adamyk and Kyle Johnson each scored two goals. Chris Whitteron and Steve Turner also scored for the Monarchs. Goals from Johnson, Hanson and Whitteron came on the penalty kill. The Rockets have now given up eleven shorthanded goals this year and the Monarchs have scored seven. Emery Anderson scored the lone Raymore goal. Travis Bosch picked up the win in the Lumsden net and Dean Brothen was in the Raymore net. Lumsden had seven minor penalties, a major penalty and a game misconduct. Raymore had six minor penalties, a major penalty and a game misconduct. as per SHA rule 6.10.02 Kyle Johnson and Kyle Schmalenberg receive one game suspensions for taking a game misconduct in the last ten minutes of a game. The other game on Saturday evening saw the Strasbourg Maroons defeat the Bethune Bulldogs 8-5 in Strasbourg. The Maroons led 3-2 after one period and 6-5 after two periods. Tyson Orban, Dillon Marcotte and Sean Delwo each scored twice for the Maroons. Bryce Hubick and Garret Lockeridge also scored for the Maroons. Marcotte, Lockeridge and Delwo each had a power play goal. Coltyn Sanderson scored twice for the Bulldogs. Mike Reich scored a power play goal. Carter Smith and Russ Nielson also scored for Bethune. Rhett Freistadt picked up the win in the Strasbourg net and Curtis Koskie was in the Bethune net. Bethune had four minor penalties and Strasbourg had three.

Lucas Ulmer from the Bulldogs continues to lead the scoring race with 42 points. Kyle Johnson from the Monarchs is second with 38 points. Tyrell Shulko from the Rockets is third with 30 points. Travis Bosch from the Monarchs leads all goalies with a 2.44 GAA and a record of 9-0-0. Teammate Will Hood is next with a 2.72 GAA and Tanner Kehler is third with a 3.12 GAA. The Bethune Bulldogs continue to lead the league with a 31.1% success rate on the power play. Lumsden is next at 31.1% and Strasbourg is third at 25.5%. The Monarchs lead the penalty kill with a success rate of 90.3%. Bethune is next at 84.7% and then comes Raymore at 79.7%.

Provincial series are set up and as we receive the dates and times they will be updated on our Provincial page. 

The regular season is winding down and the Lumsden Monarchs will finish first and the Bethune Bulldogs will finish second. Both teams will have a bye into the semi-finals. On Tuesday evening Raymore is in Cupar for a rescheduled game. On Friday evening the Strasbourg Maroons are in Lumsden and Cupar is in Southey. On Saturday evening the Bethune Bulldogs host the Canucks and the Raymore Rockets are at home to the Southey Marlins in a game that begins at 3:30 p.m.

Thank you for your support of senior hockey and the Highway Hockey League. Please follow us on Twitter or just refresh our home page on game nights to get up to date scores on the Twitter feed.